From: IBM Mainframe Discussion List [IBM-MAIN@LISTSERV.UA.EDU] on behalf of
Paul Gilmartin [0000000433f07816-dmarc-requ...@listserv.ua.edu]
Sent: Wednesday, March 25, 2020 12:03 PM
To: IBM-MAIN@LISTSERV.UA.EDU
Subject: Re: REXX MVSVAR SYMDEF behavoiur

On Wed, 25 Mar 2020 15:43:47 +0000, Seymour J Metz wrote:

>Why? I suspect that only Mike knows.

MFC?  I suspect it was out of his control before that happened.

>Worse, the same manual has an example where the name is longer than 8
>characters.

Oh, don't you make me search for it.  ITYM:

https://www.ibm.com/support/knowledgecenter/SSLTBW_2.4.0/com.ibm.zos.v2r4.ikja300/mvsvarr.htm

That is, IEASYMxx contains the definitions:

SYMDEF(&LONG_SYMBOL_NAME='SY1T_ON_PLEX_A44T')
SYMDEF(&EXTSYM_='<==THIS VALUE CAN BE UP TO 44 CHARS LONG===>')

Then, the MVSVAR function can be used to retrieve the values of these symbols
as shown:

z1 = MVSVAR('SYMDEF','LONG_SYMBOL_NAME')
z2 = MVSVAR('SYMDEF','EXTSYM_')

For z1:
<- Returns z1: SY1T_ON_PLEX_A44T

For z2:
<- Returns z2: <==THIS VALUE CAN BE UP TO 44 CHARS LONG===>

-- gil