On Wed, 25 Mar 2020 16:13:22 +0000, Seymour J Metz wrote:

>If MFC doesn't know then it's probably impossible to find out why.
>
>BTW, I submitted and RCF on the conflict between text and example.

Thanks.  Of course, no such problem exists if LONG_SYMBOL_NAME
has been assigned a value no longer than 8 characters, such as:
    LONG_SYMBOL_NAME = 'Brief'
    z1 = MVSVAR('SYMDEF','LONG_SYMBOL_NAME')

Remember when IBM was lauded for the quality of its documentation?
     “There are two ways of constructing a software design: One way is to
    make it so simple that there are obviously no deficiencies, and the other
    way is to make it so complicated that there are no obvious deficiencies.
    The first method is far more difficult.”
-- C.A.R. Hoare

Carries over, magnified, to the documentation.