There should be no performance difference; the access needs to look a line
ahead for RECFM=*A in order to determine the appropriate CCW opcode, but that
takes a negligible amount of CPU time compared to everything else it does.

> Doesn't seem right to me. If we're takling ANSI carriage control.

> 0 - move double

Change previous 09 (Write and Space 1 Line) CCW opcode to 11 (Write and Space 2
Lines)

> blank - move single

No change to previous CCW

+ - no LF

Change previous 09 (Write and Space 1 Line) CCW opcode to 01 (Write Without
Spacing)

1 - Skip to next page (Channel 1)

Change previous 09 (Write and Space 1 Line) CCW opcode to 89 (Write and Skip to
Channel 1)

In the days of the 1401 there was no RECFM=*M; the W instruction always spaced
one line after printing and the F instruction did an immediate skip, immediate
space, skip after next print or space after next print depending on the value
of the d character.

--
Shmuel (Seymour J.) Metz
http://mason.gmu.edu/~smetz3