> I would say she probably needs to lose a fair bit, but not too 
quickly
> as she will still be growing (maybe not so much in height, but 
filling
> out). It's not good for her to be going into the spring overweight, 
it
> just makes life harder as the good grass comes through. You say she
> has one and a half hours grass a day - what happens to her the rest 
of
> the time?

She has hay (2% Body weight)   and just a handful of alfa lite(with 
vitamin powder) with 4 carrots. She is out in a 1/2 acre bare paddock 
but is probably getting too much with that. That is why I will be 
glad of some winter turnout without grass. She was good at 336KG last 
year. Her condition score was 3. I can't tell what it is now because 
of the fur.
> 
> You could try switching some of her hay ration for straw, I do that 
if
> I get any fatties in here.
I'd like to but that means separating the two of them all the time. 
Keeping her stabled or in the yard seems mean but I may have to 
resort to that to keep her weight right. My problem I think is that 
Ofeig eats more than Corrie when it should be the opposite. I have 
reduced the hay to 9kg between them and giving Corrie 45ml of oil in 
her 6pm larger feed and small feed of alfa lite in the morning. I 
shut them in the stables for that or Ofeig would eat Corries.
> 
> Grazing muzzles are great too - perhaps she could spend longer at
> grass so she's moving around, but wear a muzzle so she can't pig 
out.
> 
That sounds like the perfect answer to me. If I put it on before I 
let her out on grass she will get to tolerate it. I stripgraze and 
they get limited turnout on the grass. Since I will have very little 
grass this year the problem may solve itself. I have only one acre of 
grazing until the large paddock recovers. 
Having horses is easy. you just put them in a field of grass heh!
Sue Coombes


Reply via email to