> Just because a horse is too fat, or is an easy keeper does not mean
> they are IR...so if that is the only basis for your worry, relax a
> little.

I'm trying to relax!!! Being new to horses doesn't help. I'll get there 
in time
> 
> We have IR horses in our farrier business and Sally goes over what
> type of feed they might need to switch to and supplements.....if the
> feed is changed, good supplements and good hoof care, it is usually
> an easy to mange thing as long as it is done when fiirst noticed.  I

She isn't fat except around the middle. Central obesity in humans 
predisposes to IR so my trouble is knowing too much for my own good. 
The farrier says she has the best hooves he has ever seen. He stands 
and watches her for 1/2 hr after trimming her and arrives an hour 
early. He worked in the army as a farrier so he's seen a few.
She has no feed other than forage. Even treats are low carb laminitis 
soc approved. She has her vitamins, probiotic and hoof supplement.
I recon I'm doing the best I can. 
Sue Coombes



Reply via email to