Keith,

Without comments on other aspects of the technology in question, I
would like to make some observations about the security aspects of
the processing you cite as violating IP.

By now we all should know that it is a bad idea to rely on an
unauthenticated IP address as a basis for determining the source of a
packet. Similarly. the IP header checksum offers no security.  We
have a variety of IETF standard protocols (e.g., IPsec and TLS) that
provide suitable assurance for data origin authentication and
integrity for application data sent via IP.  Thus, if anyone is
really concerned about know with whom they are communicating, and
whether a packet was modified in transit, they should be using these
standards security technologies.  Many web sites for which these
security concerns are significant already make use of SSL/TLS anyway.

Steve