Leslie,

I understand your point, but we leave ourselves open to many forms of
attacks, or errors, by assuming that "what you receive is what was
sent" in this era of the Internet.  Security is not black and white,
but the gray area we're discussing does bother me.  If one cares
about knowing where the data originated, and that it has not been
altered, then one needs to make use of the tools provided to address
that concern.  if one doesn't use the tools, then one does not care
very much, and the results may be surprising :-).

Steve