Margaret Wasserman wrote:

> On Mar 12, 2013, at 2:24 PM, Dan Harkins <dhark...@lounge.org> wrote:
> >
> >  I'd love to get out of this rat hole. Perhaps the signatories of the
> > open letter can restate the problem they see so it isn't made in terms of
> > race and gender.
>
> The letter specifically mentioned the axes of race, gender, geographic
> location and corporate affiliation, so the letter was not only about
> race and gender.  Other people have mentioned other pertinent axes in
> the e-mail discussion, such as industry segment and background/experience.
>
> I don't think it is possible for remove race and gender from the list of
> axes, though, since there is a notable lack of diversity in those areas.

The monetary and time resources necessary to fill an I* position adequately
appear quite significant to me, and I believe it would be hard to fill
them without strong support from an employer which covers the monetary
investment.

Any "lack of diversity" in the IESG/IAB/IAOC of the IETF leadership
is IMHO related to the "lack of interest" in longterm planning in
the majority of management of large companies--those which can reasonably
expect to still be around and still sell products in some area a few years
into the future.

-Martin