On Wed, Mar 20, 2013 at 9:16 AM, Jorge Contreras <cntre...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Wed, Mar 20, 2013 at 6:53 AM, Margaret Wasserman <m...@lilacglade.org>
> wrote:
>>

>> Hi Stewart,
>>
>> On Mar 20, 2013, at 2:04 AM, Stewart Bryant <stbry...@cisco.com> wrote:
>> > Age
>> > Disability
>> > Gender reassignment
>> > Marriage and civil partnership
>> > Pregnancy and maternity
>> > Race
>> > Religion and belief
>> > Sex
>> > Sexual orientation
>>
>> The U.S. has a similar (although not identical) list, and it may vary a
>> bit state-by-state.
>> >
>> > If we are going to have an itemized list of diversity characteristics,
>> > we should not pick and choose, we should include the full list.
>

> I would strongly recommend that legal counsel be consulted before any such
> "list" is produced or used by IETF/IESG/Nomcom.  (FYI, this is totally
> outside my own area of legal expertise, so IAOC would need to incur some
> expense to hire competent counsel in this area)
[MB] I agree 100%.  IETF is not at all qualified to define hiring
criteria or practices. Unfortunately, they do it all the time.  The
model in place IMHO would not stand up to the scrutiny of any major US
company's HR dept.  And, of course, the HR departments are the ones
responsible for ensuring the laws in a specific area are met.   [/MB]