On Sun, Aug 26, 2018 at 10:31 AM, Christian Huitema <huit...@huitema.net> wrote:
> It seems that the biggest obstacle to fragmentation are NAT and Firewall.
> They need the port numbers in order to find and enforce context. NAT might be
> going away with IPv6, maybe, but firewalls are not.
>
> Have considered strategies that move the port number inside the IP header?
> For example, have an UDP replacement for IPv6 that does not have any port
> number in the new UDP header, and relies instead on unique IPv6 addresses per
> context?

Christian,

That's sort of along the lines for what Firewall and Service Tickets
(FAST) does. But instead of just putting a port number in the IP
header, FAST employs a generic ticket containing the state information
needed by the firewall. Tickets are encoded in Hop-by-Hop options, so
the firewall only needs to inspect the Hop-by-Hop options to do its
work eliminating the need for DPI at the middlebox (protocol compliant
with RFC8200). This works on any packet regardless of whether it's a
fragment (no reassembly at firewall is ever necessary), any
combination of extension headers, and any transport protocol even
those that don't have a concept of ports.

Tom