Functionally I believe all the InterMapper releases are identical (with the
exception of WMI -- see below).  I am probably the last slob running the
FreeBSD (5.x, crammed into a VM) version of InterMapper (converting to Linux is
on my list), and to Dartware's credit the InterMapper engine there is as
functional as on any of the fully supported platforms.

Generally I would suggest an OS that you have deployed elsewhere in your
environment.  If you're a Unix shop the Linux version is probably the way to go
simply based on adoption.

The only exception I would note is that if you have Windows machines in your
environment and want to take advantage of the WMI probes
(http://download.dartware.com/docs/UserGuide52/Content/09-Reference/09-02-Probe_Reference/WMIprobes.htm)
 you need to run InterMapper on a Windows server.
If you're in an environment where you would want the WMI probes Windows is
probably the logical choice anyway.