Sender: Michael Graziano <michael.grazi...@premierheart.com>
Sent time: 5 sep. 2012 21:47
To: "InterMapper Discussion" <InterMapper-Talk@list.dartware.com>
Subject: Re: [IM-Talk] Preferred OS for an InterMapper server

Functionally I believe all the InterMapper releases are identical (with the
exception of WMI -- see below).  I am probably the last slob running the
FreeBSD (5.x, crammed into a VM) version of InterMapper (converting to
Linux is on my list), and to Dartware's credit the InterMapper engine there
is as functional as on any of the fully supported platforms.

Generally I would suggest an OS that you have deployed elsewhere in your
environment.  If you're a Unix shop the Linux version is probably the way
to go simply based on adoption.

The only exception I would note is that if you have Windows machines in
your environment and want to take advantage of the WMI probes
(http://download.dartware.com/docs/UserGuide52/Content/09-Reference/09-02-Probe_Reference/WMIprobes.htm)
 you need to run InterMapper on a Windows server.
If you're in an environment where you would want the WMI probes Windows is
probably the logical choice anyway.

On Sep 5, 2012, at 12:49 PM, Johan Landin wrote:

> Dear Colleagues,
>
> We are planning to replace our old InterMapper server with new hardware.
The current server is an Xserve (Late 2006) monitoring 1500 devices and
running  InterMapper and InterMapper Remote Access under OS X.

> Are there any differences between the InterMapper versions for different
operating systems?

> Which operating system should be the preferred one for a new InterMapper
server? We are considering either OS X or Red Hat Enterprise Linux 6 for
the new machine.

> Best Regards
>    /Johan Landin, ITS Network

 - signature.asc