On Mon, Jun 15, 2020, at 4:11 PM, Daniel Rodrigues Lima wrote:
> Hi Larry,
>
> I appreciate your answer, thank you, but i would like to clarify some points:
>
> 1. I found 170 occurrences of the term blacklist - grep -rni
> "blacklist" php-src/, i'm working to understand the impact of changes;
>
> 2. It’s not about politics, i believe it’s about learning how to be
> better humans;
>
> 3. I fully agree;

And yet right here you're doing it.  "It's about learning how to be better
humans" implies that banishing blacklist/whitelist from your vocabulary,
because despite completely separate historical origins the words now happen to
coincide with entirely artificial racial terms[1], makes you a "better human"
than not doing so.  Thus those who oppose the change are inferior humans to
those that support it.

That may not have been your intent; I presume it is not.  But that is precisely
the message you are giving off, and it is both offensive and counter-productive
to the necessary conversations that would further your goal.

[1] The entire concept of "white people" and "black people" was invented in
colonial America as justification for enslaving one group, and for convincing
poor European colonists that it was OK that they were abused by rich colonists
as long as they weren't black.  Europeans of different countries hated each
other just fine back in Europe without need to use skin color as a
justification.  All of Europe being "white" is just as made-up as all of Africa
being "black."

--Larry Garfield