> On 15 Jun 2020, at 22:43, Daniel Rodrigues Lima
> <danielrodrigues...@hotmail.com> wrote:
>
> Hi internals,
>
> I think the time has come for the PHP internals to discuss the use of
> master/slave and blacklist terminologies.
> As everyone can see, we are going through times of change in the world, see
> #blackLivesMatter for example.
> Therefore, I propose that we discuss the non-use of terms master/slave,
> because the use of this can allude to the slavery and negative feelings about
> black people.
>
> Some projects that changed the terminology:
>
> *
> https://github.com/sebastianbergmann/phpunit/commit/8e9c76d33dab4095c9066072076f368193e4166d
> * https://go-review.googlesource.com/c/go/+/236857/
> * https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/COUCHDB-2248
> * https://bugs.python.org/issue34605
>
> Greets,
>
> Daniel Rodrigues.
>
> geek...@php.net<mailto:geek...@php.net>
> https://twitter.com/geekcom2
> https://www.linkedin.com/in/danielrodrigueslima/

Hi Daniel,

I’m sympathetic to your goals. I’ve had a client ask me in the last hour, while
discussing a Redis issue “can we replace those terms ‘slave’ and ‘master’ with
“primary” and “replica”.

In technology circles, the terms master and slave are almost always referred to
in terms of replicated data stores, and the ‘normal’ replacements are “primary”
and “replica”. The terms “whitelist” and “blacklist”  generally refer to
allowing or disallowing things explicitly.

I’m not going to say it’s not practical to do this or that it’s a BC break,
because without some context of what you believe needs to change in PHP itself,
this whole conversation seems very abstract.

Can you identify actual references to the terms “master”, “slave”, “blacklist”,
“whitelist” somewhere in php that you feel should be changed?

Cheers

Stephen