I want to remind everyone that this discussion is inadvertently sabotaging the work/schedule of maintenance 5.3.x point releases, which we actually need, for the 5.3 branch get to a point where it's stable enough to be used in production.

So, knowing this can go on forever, it's time to pick which you want first:

A) Stable 5.3 with namespaces, closures, late static binding, phar, SPL additions and more (essential brand new functionality, feature complete, only needs bug fixes).

B) Strict type casts/hints (shortcut for existing is_*() / cast functionality).

Regards,
Stan Vassilev