On Tue, Mar 23, 2010 at 10:25 AM, Antony Dovgal <t...@daylessday.org> wrote:

> sapi/fpm and sapi/cgi now have quite different codebase as we've dropped some
> stuff
> not pertinent to FastCGI (there might be some leftovers, I'll deal with them
> later).

Not sure if it's best to say it here or just post to the wiki but it'd
be nice to add in:

- Jerome's put in some statistics functionality, which could be useful
in monitoring, etc. - might be nice to mention in the "features" [I
would include only the JSON output though]
- The config file change, moving from the XML-based php-fpm.conf to
using php.ini (I think some work had started on this, but syntax was
under debate?) - this will make it easier to adopt I think and move
away from the feeling of "this was a separate party package we threw
in to PHP" - I think Jerome had began on changing this too

All the work both you and Jerome have done (and of course Andrei) is
-greatly- appreciated. There is a decent sized audience happy to see
this finally getting into PHP core.

If there is any help needed I did get an email from an organization
who said they could throw a bit of manpower towards it. I had been
meaning to email now that it's been announced that it won't be in
5.3.3 but it will be in 5.4 (or whatever the next version is) to try
to pool some attention and get people re-energized about contributing
to the project and such.

It'd be nice to be able to determine what planned features/changes
could be put in to make it on a 5.4 (that's what I'll call it) release
- I'm hoping statistics + config file change could make the grade.
Perhaps syslog support or some other useful stuff... there is a
wishlist of ideas already. I'll do whatever I can to help and we can
take it off the mailing list too. I'd love to be able to have a
decently tested FPM in 5.4 with some additional features/improvements
- I'm sure when it comes out it'll still be marked as "experimental"
since it's the first version out there but I will run it on every
platform I can find and do anything I can to test it and throw a load
on it or anything to help. Everything but the C :P

At least it can be marked officially as "this is the first version in
core - use at own risk" but community members will be able to have a
feeling that it has been tested thoroughly ahead of time... a lot of
people are chomping at the bit to use a PHP core version.