Hi!

That was something I brought up to internals a while back, was adding
in the ability for includes in the php.ini file. I can see many usage
models for this, from distributions to web hosting managers.

Actually, if you have extension parsing the .ini, nobody prevents you from having:

include[]=another.ini

and have your extension interpret it as it wishes (i.e parse another file). Only problem you have is if you want PHP to do it automatically for you. So for FPM it shouldn't be a problem.
s...@zend.com   http://www.zend.com/
(408)253-8829   MSN: s...@zend.com