Patrick ALLAERT wrote:
2010/11/25 Lester Caine<les...@lsces.co.uk>:
Have you used git on Windows Pierre ... It is a joke!
Yes one can get it to work, but only if you do not use anything that the git
cygwin install destroys! And as yet there is no consensus on getting it
working cross platform in things like Eclipse.

At least hg works out of the box on both linux and windows, but like git
THAT does not properly support sub-repo's and makes managing nice modularly
constructed projects like PHP almost impossible.

Trying to work with projects that write modular PHP code in either git or hg
is simply not currently practical ... especially when half of your user base
is still tied to windows!

Git on Windows problems belong to the past since a while now:
* mSysGit
Provide you don't use cygwin ALREADY on your machine !!!
Install mSysGit and existing packages stop working ...

* TortoiseGit
TortoiseHg does it RIGHT and works on both Linux and Windows. TortoiseGit does not work on Linux ...

Personally I run hg since I need cross platform capability for my customers, and hggit quite happily links to github but all of this has to be managed outside Eclipse since none of those tools work reliably.

And we STILL have the problem of handling modular projects since neither do 'sub-repo' reliably. This area seems to be in a similar state of chaos to PHP with different factions all pushing their own agendas. Both git and hg are targeting compiled applications and ignore handing scripted applications like php, python, ruby and the like. 'You fix the problems when you build a project' simply does not work when you do not have anything to build! So while it may work for building PHP as a single program, a packaged distribution is a different matter.

--
Lester Caine - G8HFL