Nick Pope wrote:
Ultimately I'm a +1 for Git.  The proper branching/merging would solve
so many issues that have been addressed recently on the mailing list
regarding the pollution of trunk with incomplete and broken features, as
well as BC breakage by feature removal...

I have been using Eclipse for development for several years, and PHPEclipse does everything I need. CVS and SVN simply work ... fully integrated ... and BeyondCompare handles all of the 'merge' problems that a simple update or manual merge has trouble with. For that reason I have never had a problem with 'merging'.

Eclipse works transparently in linux and windows ... it is the reason that I started using it in the first place. I do not have to think 'linux ... commmand line'/'windows ... need something else'

Neither GIT nor HG integration works with Eclipse so I have to drop outside Eclipse to handle picking up changes from github, and for HG, the graphics tools simply work transparently. BUT in reality the broken Eclipse in integration needs to be repaired if these projects are to really support a replacement of CVS and SVN.

I have wasted weeks of possible real coding time trying to get git working for *ME* and I'm not going to spend any more until it is available as a working plugin for Eclipse. I AM using HG but simply as it was the only way to remain in touch with my main commercial activities since those developers forced a change to github.

I would strongly agree with the statement that CVS is ideal for PHP since that at least has a working package management system which has worked for years. Managing merges is NOT a problem if you are used to tools which fix the problem, in much the same way as third party plugins already try to do in git and hg! Currently importing a CVS project into either git or hg creates an essentially unusable mess since the package management is no longer avialable. How do you combine a 200 package CVS project which gets mapped to 200 repos to create a single distributable project in ANY DVCS system?

--
Lester Caine - G8HFL