Hi,

On Wed, May 11, 2011 at 12:41 AM, Lester Caine <les...@lsces.co.uk> wrote:

> guilhermebla...@gmail.com wrote:
>
>> So, please stop saying "no" to every feature request that comes in and
>> start to discuss the actual impact of each feature.
>>

> I think that MY only problem with you 'adding annotations because it is
> missing' is simply that I've already been doing it for years - just not
> calling it 'annotations' ... its 'documentation' and always has been ...

It is really troubling to read that statement. Seems there are still some
that don't really have a clue of what annotations are, even when the RFC
clearly links to them. Annotations ARE NOT documentation; in the case of
PHP, documentation is being used as annotations because there is no language
implementation, which exists in other languages (Java, .NET) and they are
widely used. Also, some use annotations as documentation (e.g. store the
class version), but again, annotations ARE NOT documentation. Don't let the
"@" notation shared with docblock fool you.

Guilherme, I think its easy to assume that people already have some sense of
what annotations are, but perhaps the wiki entry could be more educational
about it?. The first time I read about annotations it was from this link:
http://download.oracle.com/javase/tutorial/java/javaOO/annotations.html;
perhaps an intro like that could help to make the case for annotations
crystal clear?.

> The real problem at present is that the whole ecosystem is now so
> disjointed that PHP5.2 is the last version that is still fairly fully
> supported, but people are pushing for 5.4 before 5.3 has been properly put
> to bed. We need to finish of what is already added fully before pushing more
> new stuff in? That INCLUDES in the ecosystem!
>
> And we still have the hole that is unicode ...

This is another thing that troubles me when I read this list. How does the
PHP core dev community sets priorities?, is there some sort of roadmap?, is
there a process to create this roadmap?, or is it just all a generalized
best intention to do things.

I'm aware that the more features the more has to be maintained, but, what I
see is that there is lot of potential for the core dev community to grow and
at its current state it doesn't seem to be able scale due to the lack of a
roadmap/process.

I'm not trying to be a douche here, just saying: I see lots of criticism
towards everything and very few agreements.

Best regards,

David Vega