Hi all,

On Thu, Jul 17, 2014 at 12:23 PM, Sara Golemon <poll...@php.net> wrote:

> On Wed, Jul 16, 2014 at 7:34 PM, Andrea Faulds <a...@ajf.me> wrote:
> > What are you suggesting you do for an integer division, then? ($a - ($a
> % $b)) /
> > $ b? The division operator already returns an integer. Or should I just
> use
> > intdiv()?
> >
> Wow. I just finally understood what your RFC was going for.  I thought
> you were trying to cover the case where ($a%$b)==0, but you're not,
> you're trying to do truncated integer division regardless of
> remainder.  I also missed the fact that div_function does the right
> thing already as well. My bad for emailing from the bus.
>
> Okay, that's another animal entirely.
>
> Do we need a new operator for that?  It feels un-php to me, and the
> kind of problem bigint objects should be meant to solve.  On the other
> hand, having $a/$b != $a/$b (Off by more than 100 in this instance).
> But back on the first hand, that's consistent with other operations on
> large floats anyway.  PHP_INT_MAX + 1 != One more than PHP_INT_MAX,
> for example.

It would be better to implement it as functions like GMP, BCMath.

http://jp2.php.net/manual/en/ref.gmp.php
http://jp2.php.net/manual/en/ref.bc.php

Since we have prefix_name() naming standard, functions name should

int_div()
int_mod()
int_mul()
etc

It's consistent with standard and existing functions.
I understand functions are inconvenient, but they will have limited usage.
We may decide to have operators later, if we really need them.

BTW, I'll be +1 for int_div(), etc.
Undecided for operators, -1 probably.

Regards,

--