> On July 17, 2014 at 3:17 AM Sara Golemon <poll...@php.net> wrote:
>
> All that said, *I* think the tradeoff of an extra idivq in the
> (probably more common) remainder case is worth it in the interest
> keeping PHP's syntax simple.

What are you suggesting you do for an integer division, then? ($a - ($a % $b)) /
$ b? The division operator already returns an integer. Or should I just use
intdiv()?

> If we're really set on adding a new operator, I'd vote for something
> which provides dividend *and* remainder in some way. (Useful for time
> arithmetic, for example)

Isn't that the division operator? ;)

In all seriousness, you could just have the compiler optimise using % and %%
successively with the same operands to just be a single division, if that's
possible.

--
Andrea Faulds
http://ajf.me/