First off, I realize I am top posting but this thread is becoming extremely
off-topic, unbalanced and overall ridiculous to see from the sidelines as
someone that contributes to open source and also utilizes PHP on a daily
basis for more than the last decade.

Seriously, cut the shit!  Everyone is bringing this to a personal and
completely insane area; let's focus on the facts not the reactions wherever
they might come from.  Work together, no one ever agrees 100% of the time
and continuing on that note, no one makes the best choices 100% of the
time.  Surely, as a community we will not always agree on implementations,
timing and what is done in "secret" vs. not, what is more maintainable vs.
what is not.  Where to dedicate focus etc.  Open source projects often have
this issue.  Also, no I am not taking a stance or side on what is best for
the language.  People contributing to the engine are much smarter than I in
this level and the right choice I am certain will prevail.  But have a
reasonable conversations on facts vs. personal opinions and vendettas.

Now, PHP is a balanced language; performance comes with a cost if it be
memory, CPU spikes, maintainability, readability, etc.   We all program
here; this is always a trade off we need to determine, analyze and
identify.  These things have to be taken into account.  Documentation is
nice but not always necessary.  Depending on what it will change and how
much affect it will have on say extension developers and existing people
contributing to core has to be taken into account.

Let's get our heads straight, determine our focus for the next few years
and start to move forward.  Sure other languages gain and lose on PHP but
this will always be the case and should not be the core focus; we're not a
company that's on the stock market.  Languages will evolve, change, become
invented but it's not like PHP is going away in a rapid decline; sure there
is more languages and more competition out there.  For instance, I have
been writing node.js lately and find a massive benefit in certain types of
projects; it comes to utilizing the right tool for the right job.  Surely
you are not going to attempt to write PHP for something that should be done
in assembly or visa-versa.  Market share does affect our jobs and careers
but there is a reason the language has been successful and will continue to
be.  A speed increase is not a magical bullet here, if that was the case
and they wanted to use PHP they'd use HHVM or even Hack lang and change
their usage.  (Yes, there are other things there but come on, 99% of the
time core PHP speed is not the issue.)

Let's save the effort on this useless conversation, focus on driving
SOMETHING forward, WHATEVER that may be and stop taking everything so damn
personal.

Regards,

Mike