On Sun, Jul 27, 2014 at 3:54 PM, Yasuo Ohgaki <yohg...@ohgaki.net> wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> On Sun, Jul 27, 2014 at 5:03 PM, Michael Wallner <mike.php....@gmail.com>
> wrote:
>

>> On 27 Jul 2014 09:26, "Kris Craig" <kris.cr...@gmail.com> wrote:

>> > Umm, how?  Do you have any data to support this?  According to
>> http://php.net/usage.php, as of 2012, PHP's usage is steadily
>> increasing.  As far as our competitors are concerned, well:
>> >

>> http://w3techs.com/technologies/comparison/pl-java,pl-php,pl-ruby,pl-python
>> >

>> > As you can see, PHP continues to dominate with over 80% market share
>> and no signs-- at least, none that I can see-- that we are "losing ground"
>> as you stated.
>> >

>> Surely it's wise to make the same wrong assumptions Microsoft did with
>> Internet Explorer?
>>
> PHP is losing as a general scripting language for sure.
> JavaScript is winning in this area even if it was originated as "a web
> client scripting language".
>
> http://www.tiobe.com/index.php/content/paperinfo/tpci/index.html
> http://langpop.com/
>
> We are better to consider this situation seriously. IMHO.
> Focus on web as well as encourage general usage is what we need.
> Making PHP a choice for "new" project should be one of the most important
> objective.
>
> Regards,
>
> --
> Yasuo Ohgaki
> yohg...@ohgaki.net

According to w3techs, JavaScript retains an extremely tiny market share in
terms of general purpose languages:

http://w3techs.com/technologies/comparison/pl-java,pl-php,pl-ruby,pl-python,pl-js

It looks like the sources are all measuring different metrics.  It would be
interesting to see a closer analysis of the data and figure out which
metrics are the most relevant to this question.

--Kris