On Fri, Feb 20, 2015 at 3:36 PM, Anthony Ferrara <ircmax...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Larry,
>
> On Fri, Feb 20, 2015 at 6:31 PM, Larry Garfield <la...@garfieldtech.com>
> wrote:
>> On 02/20/2015 06:28 PM, Anthony Ferrara wrote:
>>>
>>> Considering I'm not targetting 7 (I've updated the RFC to hint this), we
>>> can choose what to do later depending on the exceptions result (whether to
>>> bypass execution in strict mode only, or for all calls). Thanks for the
>>> insight Anthony
>>

>> That makes me very sad, as whether the strict option is there or not I'd
>> *really* love to see scalar hints in PHP 7 to complement return type
>> hinting.
>
> Timing just won't work while being fair with alternative proposals.

I do not think it is unfair to push it now. In contrary.

> I've said since I re-opened the proposal that I'm comfortable with it
> not targeting 7.0...
>
> Unless we're willing to push feature freeze by 2-3 weeks for it, it
> just doesn't make sense to target 7 with people working on an
> alternate proposal (since by definition they couldn't target 7).

I do think we should. We are exactly at the point I was afraid to
reach with the unrealistic planning for 7. Engine is somehow stable
from an API changes point of view, so other can start to work on a
couple of key features. But it is too late. Let face it, some features
(like your RFC) will never make it post 7.0. We have to be realistic
about how things work now.

Cheers,
--
Pierre