No rule is being broken.

The PHP 7 timeline RFC (wiki.php.net/rfc/php7timeline) states the following:
Line up any remaining RFCs that target PHP 7.0.   |     Now - Mar 15 (4+
additional months)

As Bob pointed out, what 'Line up' means - whether it means vote ends, vote
begins, or discussion begins - is completely open to interpretation.  I
don't remember what I meant when I wrote it, but arguably, 'line up' is a
lot closer to 'start discussing' than 'finish voting', and as is typically
the case when something is unclear, the most lax interpretation is
acceptable.

Zeev