On Sun, Apr 5, 2015 at 12:05 AM, Ferenc Kovacs <tyr...@php.net> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> bumping the thread as we should start the release steps (branching out 7.0,
> tagging the first alpha or more likely beta) if we wanna keep up with
> https://wiki.php.net/rfc/php7timeline

I definitely think we should roll a package and get it posted to encourage
early testing and feedback.
I think we are also more likely to get folks to benchmark against their
apps and give us feedback on performance gains and migration challenges
which can help us with migration guidelines and tools.

In the past we've posted alpha versions at much earlier phases of
development.
Given that what we currently have in hand is quite good and somewhere in
between an alpha (very raw, incomplete) and a beta (mostly feature
complete, yet not sufficiently tested) I would opt for either calling it a
"preview" or a potentially even a "beta" which will get more eyeballs on it.
But I don't have a strong opinion besides getting the ball rolling and
helping folks get their hands on it.

We are posting nightly builds for Debian and Red Hat on php7.zend.com just
to make it easier for folks who don't want to self-compile to give it a go
but I think even better if we get some downloadable .tar.gz of the sources
on php.net and we can always also have some non-nightly builds of the
preview/betas we provide for folks who are interested.

Thx!
Andi