hi Julien.

On Wed, Apr 29, 2015 at 10:50 PM, Julien Pauli <jpa...@php.net> wrote:
> On Wed, Apr 29, 2015 at 3:57 PM, Anatol Belski <anatol....@belski.net>
> wrote:
>>
>> On Wed, April 29, 2015 15:35, Ferenc Kovacs wrote:

>> > Thanks for volunteering, albeit I wish you could have spoken a bit
>> > sooner, so we avoid the awkward situation. I just wanted to repeat that
>> > previously noted that based on my personal experience with 5.6, I think
>> > that having two full time RMs for a major version would be much better.
>> > Now
>> > that we have two volunteers maybe we could also consider having both of
>> > you guys and ofc. I can help with my experience on the RMing and the
>> > process.
>> >
>> Yeah, actually I didn't think about RMing before. Thus my self-nomination
>> is based on the discussion arguments that my participation could be
>> convenient. Hence so late. With respect to your and others experience,
>> that's why I'm asking.
>>
>> The suggestion for Kalle and me both doing the job - wouldn't we all three
>> then jump over each others heads? Or one could part the tasks so we do it
>> more or less independently (there are sure enough tasks)? Asking as I
>> curretly have a minimal sights of the process, so not quite clear how it
>> would go.
>

> Na :-)
>
> I'm glad you both volunteer for RMing.
>
> Usually, only one guy does all the job, it is better and prevents one
> jumping onto the other guy's head.
>
> But, Sometimes one may be so busy - or have personnal issues - that then it
> is the second RM that comes over scene and does the job.
> That's why we are two usually, one "master RM" that does the job, and one
> "secondary RM" that comes to scene when "master RM" has some problems, or if
> "master RM" wonders if it is good to do this or that (then RMs discuss each
> other and take decision).
>
> But obviously, you two can change that process.
> You can work together at the same time, splitting tasks to do, the only
> thing is you have to be able to work together smoothly , but as we all are
> OSS contributors, I guess we all are able to handle that.
>

> Also, keep in mind that the release process is REALLY heavy before the GA ,
> and not that heavy once the GA is launched.
> Preparing Alphas, betas, RCs, NEWS file, UPGRADING, checking for the doc to
> be synced .... are hard jobs that take place before the GA, and can take a
> lot of time.
> In such period (that is : before the GA), it is usually really better to
> have two brains and two pairs of hands to do the job.
>
> After the GA, don't worry too much, only security issues or BC breaks are to
> be followed and taken care of, all the other tasks are easy to perform.
>
> Also, keep in mind that previous RMs, such as Ferenc or myself , can help
> you in doing such tasks, feel free to ask, ping, mail, etc... ;-)

Exactly, why we tried to always have an experienced RM working
together with a new one, one of them has to have very good core
knowledge (make the whole patch review easier).

If anything and to keep the 2 RMs part, I am all for Ferenc and
Anatol, a dream RMs team for 7.
--
Pierre

@pierrejoye | http://www.libgd.org