Hi Matt, I tend not to participate in these kind of discussions, since there are many valid points of view and thus no obvious right one. But I will give you my view on some aspects..
> Who is jallib for? > > So far I have mostly heard "the contributors want...", are you saying > that jallib/jalv2/jal etc is mostly for the contributors? It seems > that way. I don't think this is the right conclusion. This list, the jallib mailing list, is intended for the contributers. A small group of people who spend their time on the maintenance and extension of jallib. Personally, I only have limited time available that I am willling to spend on this and think this is best spent on code writing, testing, documentation. The result of this work is the jallib package. This is intended for 'the public' as you call it. And most of this 'public' is on the yahoo jallist, together with a few that might use jalV1 or their own libaries and quite a lot of people that use Bert starterspack. > I think the public, the newbies, etc should be first on the list, not > ourselves! If you mean the yahoo list, I agree. And I think they are. The good thing about the yahoo list is that there are many people around answering questions. > Some things might be difficult for us, but it should be > worth it if it is good for others. > Maybe some of us need to put a side what we want/need and think about > everyone else. Nobody can disagree with 'dont be selfish. What I don't understand is what specific thing of my behaviour I should change. > I thought jallib is under PUBLIC bsd/zip etc licenses. True, all the work we provide can be used by anybody for any purpose (including making money). > Maybe we need to ask the public if they want! I think at this point, > the users out number the contributors. I assume this is true, but I am not sure. I know jallib is downloaded a lot, but there is remarkably little feedback on the use. So maybe it is not used. Or maybe it's so perfect, nobody has any reason to complain. Or it's so bad or difficult to use that people give up before they even started. Or people fix the bugs they run into themselfs and don't bother (or dare) to tell us and help other people. The thing is, you won't get answers from 'the public', just from individuals with each of them their own experience. I think many of them don't care about us, just use jallib and post a message for help if they get stuck. And that's okay. I invested quite a lot of time in jalv2 betatesting at the time and jallib over the last year. Because I enjoy doing so. And sometimes I even do things I like less, like writing documentation, thinking about 'the public' and to increase the success of jallib. Because it's also nice to be part of something that's successfull. And I know documentation of jallib could be better, it always can. But there also are a lot of people out there that could contribute - even 'newbies' can add a lot of value. And most of them choose not too (and that's okay). But the least people should do is put a decent amount of effort in trying (not beeing 'contributing' - just try to achieve their own goal) before they state jallib is not good enough. And if they state it should be better, they should explain why they think so, giving us a chance to improve. And if they are polite, they ask us (why is..., could I helpt to..., would you please concider...). After all, 'people' get a lot of value for their money with jal and jallib. Joep --~--~---------~--~----~------------~-------~--~----~ You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "jallib" group. To post to this group, send email to [email protected] To unsubscribe from this group, send email to [email protected] For more options, visit this group at http://groups.google.com/group/jallib?hl=en -~----------~----~----~----~------~----~------~--~---
