OK, this one should protect both battery and USB (not considering blow
speed):

[image: power2.png]

If it sounds ok to you, I'll keep this one.


cheers,
seb
2011/2/5 Sebastien Lelong <[email protected]>

> Typically I wanted to use this kind of fuse:
> http://cgi.ebay.com/10pcs-Little-fuse-notebook-repair-LF-Fuse-SMD-1206-0-5A-/220725125732?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item33643e2264#ht_1113wt_754
>
> Seb
>
> 2011/2/5 Sebastien Lelong <[email protected]>
>
>> Sure, I understand what you mean. So here's some self-enligthenment :)
>>
>> I want the board to be safe: it should never damage USB host for instance
>> (this is the most important point). It must also be fool proof: a short
>> circuit should just blow a fuse. Ideally reverse polarity shouldn't be a
>> problem.
>>
>> I know this is still fuzzy, from what your say, Kiste, blow speed is also
>> important. I just don't have enough knowledge to pick the better solution,
>> the better compromise.
>>
>> In my opinion, 500mA should protect the load for extra current (user load)
>> *and* board itself (PIC, etc...) *and* the power supplies.
>>
>> Cheers,
>> Seb
>>
>> 2011/2/5 vasile surducan <[email protected]>
>>
>>> Seb, it's yours design so you have to enlighten us.
>>>  You want three power supplies: one battery, one external supply, one
>>> USB.
>>> The load is one nanowatt PIC and one XBEE which draw max 270mA on TX  and
>>> the user unknown load.
>>>  In your opinion the 500mA fuse should protect the load for the extra
>>> drawn current, the power supplies or all of them?
>>>
>>> Vasile
>>>
>>>
>>>
>>> On Sat, Feb 5, 2011 at 5:00 AM, Sebastien Lelong <
>>> [email protected]> wrote:
>>>
>>>> Or, should I keep another fuse at its first place, after regulation ? I
>>>> first thought that put this fue here would protect USB (but not the
>>>> regulation part) and the whole circuit.
>>>>
>>>> Please enlighten me !
>>>>
>>>> Seb
>>>>
>>>> 2011/2/5 Sebastien Lelong <[email protected]>
>>>>
>>>> Hi Kiste,
>>>>>
>>>>> 2011/2/5 Oliver Seitz <[email protected]>
>>>>>
>>>>> >> Both USB and U1 have short circuit protected outputs.
>>>>>>
>>>>>> You mean, power rails on USB connectors at a computer are
>>>>>> short-circuit protected? This is true, but the protection is often a
>>>>>> non-resettable SMD fuse somewhere in the middle of a very big PCB called
>>>>>> mainboard... I'd prefer not to blow that one.
>>>>>>
>>>>>
>>>>> :)
>>>>>
>>>>> OK, so I can put another SMD fuse for USB.
>>>>>
>>>>>  >The trouble with polarity protection (this is what we're talking
>>>>>> about isn't ?) is the drop voltage involved with diode.
>>>>>>
>>>>>> Only if you're using a diode in series. You could also use the fuse
>>>>>> and a reasonably strong schottky diode from ground. So, reverse polarity
>>>>>> will not go beyond 0.5V, and the fuse will blow when strong reverse 
>>>>>> power is
>>>>>> applied.
>>>>>>
>>>>>
>>>>> Thanks for the tip. Could you point to some direction about this diode
>>>>> ?
>>>>>
>>>>> I was also thinking about using a schottky diode to regulate max 3.3V.
>>>>> I mean, according to my last power supply schematic, if user select USB 
>>>>> but
>>>>> no regulation, xbee could be damaged for instance. Could a 3.3V schottky
>>>>> diode be used for thi purpose ? (make sure it won't be more than 3.3V ?)
>>>>>
>>>>>
>>>>> Cheers,
>>>>> Seb
>>>>>
>>>>
>>>>
>>>>
>>>> --
>>>> Sébastien Lelong
>>>> http://www.sirloon.net
>>>> http://sirbot.org
>>>>
>>>> --
>>>> You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google
>>>> Groups "jallib" group.
>>>> To post to this group, send email to [email protected].
>>>> To unsubscribe from this group, send email to
>>>> [email protected]<jallib%[email protected]>
>>>> .
>>>> For more options, visit this group at
>>>> http://groups.google.com/group/jallib?hl=en.
>>>>
>>>
>>>  --
>>> You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups
>>> "jallib" group.
>>> To post to this group, send email to [email protected].
>>> To unsubscribe from this group, send email to
>>> [email protected]<jallib%[email protected]>
>>> .
>>> For more options, visit this group at
>>> http://groups.google.com/group/jallib?hl=en.
>>>
>>
>>
>>
>> --
>> Sébastien Lelong
>> http://www.sirloon.net
>> http://sirbot.org
>>
>
>
>
> --
> Sébastien Lelong
> http://www.sirloon.net
> http://sirbot.org
>



-- 
Sébastien Lelong
http://www.sirloon.net
http://sirbot.org

-- 
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups 
"jallib" group.
To post to this group, send email to [email protected].
To unsubscribe from this group, send email to 
[email protected].
For more options, visit this group at 
http://groups.google.com/group/jallib?hl=en.

<<power2.png>>

Reply via email to