I agree this is a compiler design flaw, and also agree that we don't really need to change anything at all since all samples have been tested, and this has been around as long as jalv2 has been.
Of course I still don't like the fact that 1% of the time, there may be an issue. So, over time I will likely update my libraries and samples to avoid this. 0% chance of a bug is better then 1%. I am likely overreacting because of the grief it caused me with my usb_msd library. I could have had this in the jallib package quite a while ago. Maybe I can dig a bit further to find which variable is having the issue. Matt. On Tuesday, April 7, 2015 at 3:49:49 AM UTC-4, RobH wrote: > > > Hi Matt, > > On 04/06/2015 09:52 PM, Matthew Schinkel wrote: > > > > I don't think this is causing problems with many of our programs, > > however after my discussion with Kyle on Jallist, it seems we should > > not use "_" as the first character for any identifiers. My usb_msd.jal > > library does not work because of this, even though I did not use > > variables starting with "_temp". > > > > Per Kyle's suggestion, it seems we should go through all our libs to > > rename variables. To keep it simple, I suggest moving all underscore > > at the beginning of variable names to the end of the variable name, or > > rename the variable all together if you wish. > > > > I've seen the suggestion of Kyle, but it came to me as a 1 April joke! > And even if Kyle is serious we must not overreact. > > I know that the compiler requires some specific variables with names > starting with an underscore be declared in the device files (e.g. > _pic_accum, _ind, etc.), but I always understood that the only reason > for the leading underscore is to avoid conflicts/duplicates with > 'normal' variables. I can hardly believe that the compiler treats names > starting with an underscore differently than other names, at least I do > not see a reason (but that may be because I know next to nothing about > the internals of the compiler). And when this is true I would consider > this as a compiler (design) issue. > > > > Our Jallib style guide suggests to use the underscore character. > > "Names of other global entities (not supposed being used by > > application programs) should use this prefix and use an additional > > underscore at the beginning." > > https://code.google.com/p/jallib/wiki/JallibStyleGuide > > > Yes, that has always worked so far, no complaints. > > > Rob, do you think we need to update all device files? > > > The device files, especially of the midrange, contain many names > starting with an underscore (like for the port shadowing code). When the > leading underscores must really disappear completely then of course also > these files must be changed. I expect that the change itself will not > be complicated, but testing might become time consuming.... > > Regards, Rob. > > > -- > *Rob H*amerling - http://www.robh.nl > -- You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "jallib" group. To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to [email protected]. To post to this group, send email to [email protected]. Visit this group at http://groups.google.com/group/jallib. For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/d/optout.
