Hi Kyle,

On 04/08/2015 01:26 AM, zmafoox wrote:
Greetings,

On Tuesday, April 7, 2015 at 12:49:49 AM UTC-7, RobH wrote:


    I've seen the suggestion of Kyle, but it came to me as a 1 April
    joke!
    And even if Kyle is serious we must not overreact.


Sorry, no joke.
It could have been a nice joke, it was properly timed! It's a pitty that it wasn't!

Grep the sources for 'value_is_temp' and you'll see that yes, indeed, variables beginning with '_temp' are special cased. You needn't replace all of your identifiers that begin with '_' but the compiler reserves the right to do anything it wants with them. If I ever get the newer variable allocator to work, even this restriction will go away.

I can imagine that the compiler has a need for 'internal' names. But I would expect that it throws an error when this conflicts (duplicates) with an 'external' name. When understood it correctly the issue was that a library which used the name '_temperature' simply did not work without any errors or warnings.


    the internals of the compiler). And when this is true I would
    consider
    this as a compiler (design) issue.


I would agree, but this has been documented from the beginning.


Indeed! But of all the compilers and interpreters with which I've worked JalV2 is the only one with this kind of restriction (which is my excuse for suggesting that is was an April joke!).

I've looked for an alternative 'special' character but apart from the underscore the compiler supports only letters and digits, even not the dollar-sign (maybe the compiler could use the dollar sign for internal names in stead of the underscore).

Regards, Rob.


--
*Rob H*amerling - http://www.robh.nl

--
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups 
"jallib" group.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email 
to [email protected].
To post to this group, send email to [email protected].
Visit this group at http://groups.google.com/group/jallib.
For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/d/optout.

Reply via email to