BEFORE YOU POST, search the faq at <http://java.apache.org/faq/>
WHEN YOU POST, include all relevant version numbers, log files,
and configuration files.  Don't make us guess your problem!!!

Hi Ed,
     I believe that 100 = 100 seconds. In my case, I was on a
PII 200MHz m/c
running RH6.2. I set it to 1800 seconds so that the JVM has all
the time in
the world to get started. One way to monitor the activity is to
do either a
ps or top and see how the processes are moving. If your jvm is
dying, you'll
notice that the pid has changed and once in a while you may
actually see a
process being declared "<defunct>". I learnt the hard way that
the jvm was
starting, but taking too much time. As a result the apache
server was giving
up quick(since the time out was very less).

ajp error also occurs if you try to load the page right after
you restart
apache. this is because your jvm hasn't started and the
connection fails
with you getting an "Internal Server Error" in the browser.

Apache usually spawns of multiple jvms all owned by "nobody".
Usually these
are around 6 in number.

Lemme know if this works.

Kamesh

on Dec 12, Ed Bras thus hinted about "Re: Don't read the jserv.properties..."

EB:Date: Tue, 12 Dec 2000 17:34:29 +0100
EB:From: Ed Bras <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
EB:Reply-To: Java Apache Users <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
EB:To: Java Apache Users <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
EB:Subject: Re: Don't read the jserv.properties file ???
EB:
EB:----------------------------------------------------------------
EB:BEFORE YOU POST, search the faq at <http://java.apache.org/faq/>
EB:WHEN YOU POST, include all relevant version numbers, log files,
EB:and configuration files.  Don't make us guess your problem!!!
EB:----------------------------------------------------------------
EB:
EB:> ajp12 error arises because the apache side is not able to connect to your
EB:> servlet engine (which may not be present to answer apache's calls (since
EB:no
EB:> jvm means no servlet engine)). one way out is to usually give longer
EB:> timeouts for your jvm.
EB:>
EB:> please let me know if the above solution worked.
EB:>
EB:
EB:Thanks Kamesh,
EB:
EB:I changed the ApJServTimeout to 100 in the file jserv.conf, which made no
EB:difference. Is this the correct Timeout ?
EB:But I noticed that a lot java executables are running, what about them ?
EB:
EB:I did a netstat on the port 8007 in a while loop, but nothing happens on
EB:that port when requesting a servlet, how come ?
EB:And why does it runs when the manual mode is off ?
EB:
EB:Regards,
EB:Ed Bras
EB:
EB:
EB:
EB:> ----- Original Message -----
EB:> From: "Ed Bras" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
EB:> To: "Java Apache Users" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
EB:> Sent: Monday, December 11, 2000 3:12 PM
EB:> Subject: Re: Don't read the jserv.properties file ???
EB:>
EB:>
EB:> > ----------------------------------------------------------------
EB:> > BEFORE YOU POST, search the faq at <http://java.apache.org/faq/>
EB:> > WHEN YOU POST, include all relevant version numbers, log files,
EB:> > and configuration files.  Don't make us guess your problem!!!
EB:> > ----------------------------------------------------------------
EB:> >
EB:> > > What's the setting of ApJServManual in your jserv.conf?  Your
EB:> description
EB:> > > sounds like you're running in manual mode in which case JServ is
EB:> > controlled
EB:> > > separately from the web server.  Can you tell if your JVM is shutting
EB:> down
EB:> > > when you kill the web server?
EB:> >
EB:> >
EB:> > Thanks Wilks,
EB:> >
EB:> > Indeed is was in manual mode.
EB:> > I have changed it now, but it now gives an error connection erro, the
EB:> > mod_jserv.log file says:
EB:> > ---
EB:> > 11/12/2000 22:14:26:336] (EMERGENCY) ajp12: can not connect to host
EB:> > 127.0.0.1:8
EB:> > 007
EB:> > [11/12/2000 22:14:26:336] (EMERGENCY) ajp12: connection fail
EB:> > [11/12/2000 22:14:26:336] (ERROR) an error returned handling request via
EB:> > protoco
EB:> > l "ajpv12"
EB:> > ---
EB:> >
EB:> > What do I do about this ?
EB:> > I went through the faq, and checked the correct paths, log file names,
EB:log
EB:> > files rights, localhost lookup, and that all seem to be in order, so
EB:what
EB:> > could it be ?
EB:> >
EB:> > Resume: I do have Apache Jserv 1.1.1-1 and Apache 1.3.12 on RedHat 7.0
EB:> >
EB:> > Regards,
EB:> > Ed Bras
EB:> >
EB:> >
EB:> > --
EB:> > Please read the FAQ! <http://java.apache.org/faq/>
EB:> > To subscribe:        [EMAIL PROTECTED]
EB:> > To unsubscribe:      [EMAIL PROTECTED]
EB:> > Search Archives:
EB:> > <http://www.mail-archive.com/java-apache-users%40list.working-dogs.com/>
EB:> > Problems?:           [EMAIL PROTECTED]