BEFORE YOU POST, search the faq at <http://java.apache.org/faq/>
WHEN YOU POST, include all relevant version numbers, log files,
and configuration files.  Don't make us guess your problem!!!

Maybe a stab in the dark but have you tried explicitly setting

bindaddress=127.0.0.1

in jserv.properties.

I had a similar problem where I couldn't connect an apache webserver to
a remote Jserv box because this directive was not set properly (to the
IP of the network interface in my case).

Here are some of the ways I tried to debug my problem.  First I
determined that Jserv was up by checking the ps output and also seeing
that Jserv properly started in the jserv.log.  (you may try setting the
logging to log.channel.debug=true) It's also important that it actually
shuts down when restarting the webserver after changing your configs, %
killall java works for me.

>From the webserver box, I tried % telnet Jservhost 8007  and noticed the
connection was immediately refused.  I ran a % snoop port 8007 on the
Jservhost, tried the telnet again, and verified that I was communicating
on that port. I could see that it was receiving the request but would
not establish a connection.

Then on the Jservhost, I tried % telnet Jservhost 8007 and it too was
refused.  But, on the Jservhost, when I did a % telnet localhost 8007, I
could make a connection.  Maybe try this and see if you can connect to
Jserv on either localhost or by hostname/IP.

>From this information, I determined that Jserv was bound to the wrong
IP.  In my case, it was bound to localhost and I needed it to be bound
to my host IP. Once I changed the bindaddress to my IP everything worked
as expected.

Just as a note, I'm was trying to get Jserv to work remotely, not on the
same box as the webserver like the problem in this discussion.  But, I
was seeing the same type of errors while working on this.  My only
advice is to ensure that mod_jserv is looking for the Jserv on localhost
and Jserv is bound localhost.  Once you can make sure this is the case,
you can start looking into OS (network) settings or problems with Apache
or Jserv on your platform.

I'm running a remote configuration:

ApacheJServ-1.1.2
JSDK2.0
apache_1.3.14

On SGI Origin 200's running Irix 6.5.8

Also, I start my Jserv manually, without the use of the webserver.  I
use this script I found here:
http://www.magiccookie.com/computers/apache-jserv/

jservd:
#!/bin/sh
properties=/usr/local/apache/conf/jserv/jserv.properties
log=/usr/local/apache/logs/jserv.log
CLASSPATH=$CLASSPATH:/usr/java/JSDK2.0/lib/jsdk.jar
CLASSPATH=$CLASSPATH:/usr/local/apache/libexec/ApacheJServ.jar
/usr/java/bin/java org.apache.jserv.JServ $properties $1 2>> $log &

Good luck!  I hope this helps somebody at sometime.

David Yergovich