Hello,
The most effective means I have found for confirming whether the
screen shade is on or off is to go into the quick settings menu with
an insert plus v or capslock plus v if you are using the laptop layout
and in the search field type shade. Next, down arrow once and JAWS
should state whether it is checked or not if it is pressing the space
bar on it to uncheck it and then tabbing to the ok button should
disable it.
Hope this helps