Hi Gerald,
First, Alt + A, opens the "Favorites" menu, so don't use it. (smile)
Here are some notes I found, that might help if you are using an early
version of Internet Explorer.
1. While in Internet Explorer, go to the view menu, and open the Toolbars
sub-menu, , and make sure
that lock the toolbars is unchecked.
2. make sure you only have standard buttons and address bar
checked and not any others. For example if you have Norton
Anti-virus, then uncheck it.
Now if that doesn't help, then
unfortunately what has happened is that your address bar
has gotten moved out of place somehow. So what you have to do
is use your jaws cursor and review the top part of the window
very carefully. If you are lucky you will be able to find the
word address. If you do, click it twice quickly with the left
mouse button and that will move it back into place and solve your
problem. If you can't find the word address, you might need
sighted assistance to move it back to place.
3. Once you have gotten the Address bar back into place,return to the View
menu, and lock the toolbars.

HTH,
Rick Justice

Tomorrow's another day, another way!
and if tomorrow never comes, problem solved!