"distributed cache" == a cache distributed over multiple instances of JBoss?
If so, read on....(if not send to trash if you don't already have a mail
filter "if from Bill Burke, send to trash immediately")

<flame>I bet you can't do better with a distributed cache.  DBs may be an
"UGLY world", but I'll put my $5 done that a distributed cache would be even
uglier.  Yeah, sure, it would be a great academic exercise, but....</flame>
Databases are freakin' designed for concurrent access.  Why not leverage
them?  I remember reading someplace that WebLogic 6.x was starting to move
more of its synching to the database layer.  Unfortunately, I can't seem to
dig up this info.  Can somebody back me up?  BTW, that's not say that
WebLogic is THE best implementation in the world, but it certainly is a
great reference.

Regards,
Bill