To my mind creating an PHP compiler/interpreter/whatever on a java VM
is feasible but would require lot of resources.

I did a pascal compiler in my early courses, but the context was
very different. With pascal you have things that are well defined.

PHP is another case :

1.there are no specificationsm the only thing we have is
  zend source code, blurred language definition.
2.it's a moving target

now what *does matter* is to have a true CMS on java platform.
The way above is one way and porting postnuke is another.

I think that straight porting is really feasible, although
I don't discard porting PHP sometimes later.

julien

mf> holger,

mf> we totally agree and we are talking about the same thing.  I already
mf> proposed it to Julien back when we wanted to go PN.  The idea is indeed
mf> to RUN PHP APPS AS IS in JBoss but with the merit of same VM cache
mf> access. That is what it is all about and what is killing the current
mf> www.jboss.org machine under apache/php, the fact that PHP is a lot of
mf> servlet/jdbc equivalent code done poorly.

mf> Let's do a port for now, with EJB representing the tables so that at
mf> least we remove the JDBC code (or ODBC or whatever it is PHP uses) and
mf> leverage some cache.  It will speed www.jboss.org speed by ten.

mf> marcf

mf> SourceForge Enterprise Edition + IBM + LinuxWorld = Something 2 See!
mf> http://www.vasoftware.com
mf> Jboss-development mailing list
mf> [EMAIL PROTECTED]
mf> https://lists.sourceforge.net/lists/listinfo/jboss-development