Tom Coleman wrote:
Don't be too sure that there isn't a number of months of effort to pass the
conformance suite. There are lots of edge cases and areas of interpretation
when implementing from a spec.

Unless they give the compliance testing to Bill Burke. He could probably
get it done in a weekend. Personally, certification is irrelevant to me. My criteria is whether or not the product gets the job done. I think certification serves to
answer that question for people who don't know how to figure it out for themselves.

 I'm doing an integration with a partner that uses a "certified" server.
 Their server crashes.  My server doesn't.

So really people use certification instead of asking if the product gets the job done. Unfortunately there are a lot of people making infrastructure decisions who are either naive enough to do that or who are hamstrung by beancounters who are.
Also, in a lot of cases, a certification like that can wind up as a checklist item, and a lack of a check in that column can just force technical people to have to waste a lot of time explaining the political situation, which makes executives nervous...

-danch