There is no plan to make Java 11 a Jenkins minimum requirement yet.

When the Docker images were changed to Java 11
<https://www.jenkins.io/blog/2021/08/17/docker-images-use-jdk-11-by-default/>
in August, 2021, the discussions in the governing board meeting noted that
we don't have a plan to make Java 11 a minimum requirement for Jenkins.
Java 11 discussions were also held in the Java 11 workshop at the June 28,
2021 contributor summit <https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hger_BTp3D0>.

The "Reasoning"
<https://github.com/jenkinsci/jep/blob/master/jep/232/README.adoc#reasoning>
section of JEP-232 that describes the change to Java 11 as the default in
the Docker images notes that there are still too many users running Jenkins
on Java 8 to consider dropping support for Java 8.

The JGit development team is discussing their move to Java 11 as minimum
required Java version.  JGit 6 (no release date stated yet, but under
discussion, possibly as soon as early 2022) will drop support for Java 8.
The discussion thread is available on their mailing list archive
<https://www.eclipse.org/lists/jgit-dev/msg04085.html>.  We're relying on
JGit's continued support of older versions for security fixes since they've
done that in the past.

Mark Waite