Thanks, I will try to see if I can this to work a little more before trying
to install older version of git.  I didn't any setting for me to choose
https or ssh.  I just added the credentials in the SCM location when i added
my repo.  I chose username and password and provided both.  Here is image of
the credential in the Jenkins Credential Tab.

<http://jenkins-ci.361315.n4.nabble.com/file/n4842697/Screen_Shot_2016-09-16_at_8.png>

If there is a location in the Jenkins to say use https or ssh, please let me
know.