February 11, 2003
Our Lady of Lourdes

On December 8, 1854, Pope Pius IX proclaimed the dogma of the Immaculate Conception in
the apostolic constitution Ineffabilis Deus. A little more than three years later, on
February 11, 1858, a young lady appeared to Bernadette Soubirous. This began a series
of visions. During the apparition on March 24, the lady identified herself with the
words: “I am the Immaculate Conception.”
Bernadette was a sickly child of poor parents. Their practice of the Catholic faith
was scarcely more than lukewarm. Bernadette could pray the Our Father, the Hail Mary
and the Creed. She also knew the prayer of the Miraculous Medal: “O Mary conceived
without sin.”
During interrogations Bernadette gave an account of what she saw. It was “something
white in the shape of a girl.” She used the word aquero, a dialect term meaning “this
thing.” It was “a pretty young girl with a rosary over her arm.” Her white robe was
encircled by a blue girdle. She wore a white veil. There was a yellow rose on each
foot. A rosary was in her hand. Bernadette was also impressed by the fact that the
lady did not use the informal form of address (tu), but the polite form (vous). The
humble virgin appeared to a humble girl and treated her with dignity.
Through that humble girl, Mary revitalized and continues to revitalize the faith of
millions of people. People began to flock to Lourdes from other parts of France and
from all over the world. In 1862 Church authorities confirmed the authenticity of the
apparitions and authorized the cult of Our Lady of Lourdes for the diocese. The Feast
of Our Lady of Lourdes became worldwide in 1907.

Comment:
Lourdes has become a place of pilgrimage and healing, but even more of faith. Church
authorities have recognized over 60 miraculous cures, although there are   some  4 000
 cases    which  medical  science   had  been  unable  to  explain  in any  natural
way. To people of faith this is not surprising. It is a continuation of Jesus’ healing
miracles—now performed at the intercession of his mother. Some would say that the
greater miracles are hidden. Many who visit Lourdes return home with renewed faith and
a readiness to serve God in their needy brothers and sisters. There still may be
people who doubt the apparitions of Lourdes. Perhaps the best that can be said to them
are the words that introduce the film Song of Bernadette: “For those who believe in
God, no explanation is necessary. For those who do not believe, no explanation is
possible.”

REFLECTION:

                 PENANCE ! PENANCE !  PENANCE  !  (Words  of  our  Lady  to
Bernadette)