We have many, many examples of notebooks in use now, but this one still
struck me as a great example of something with an immediate practical
impact:

https://blog.data.gov.sg/how-we-caught-the-circle-line-rogue-train-with-data-79405c86ab6a#.v48zug54c

emergency stops caused by signal failures. Data analysis in a notebook
revealed that a particular train was interfering with other trains'
communications. The operator pulled it out of service, and people could
commute happily again.