On 12/14/2015 07:22 AM, Jaroslaw Staniek wrote:
On 14 December 2015 at 13:13,  <c...@isbd.net> wrote:
Jaroslaw Staniek <stan...@kde.org> wrote:
The exclusive group or RAD users is not small but severely distributed
so quite hard to reach. Misused spreadsheets for example are
competitors too. There's always room for IT projects without any
reasonable budget assigned.

Yes, that's my pet hate, people using spreadsheets for storing tables
of text information.  :-)

That triggered creation of this chapter of the handbook:
https://userbase.kde.org/Kexi/Handbook/Introduction_to_Databases/Database_and_Spreadsheet
Nothing revolutionary and can be further extended :)

PS: And I am unsure why would the LV claim there's no client-server
architecture in such RAD tools if all database engines (but SQLite)
have always been client-server. Maybe it's about the app and GUI on
the server side?

A good, easy to use front-end (like Kexi may become or MS Access sort
of is) would encourage more use of databases.

I've been searching for a decent replacement for MS Access for ages
and still haven't found one.

My fundamental requirement is soemthing like Access' table view that
allows very simple creation and updating of a table.  I've yet to find
anything.
Yes, sometimes I am looking into ways to make Kexi even simpler to
use, so if user wants it - it can be in the middle between a
spreadsheet and a db creation app. Ad-hoc creating table designs
(while entering the data) is one of the things, quite hard to
implement though. Interesting, after the idea came MSA (maybe 2003?)
added similar feature.

But before it's reality we probably need to get reliable alter-table
feature to work.

What exact features of simple table creation do you mean?

I feel this middle ground between a spreadsheet and a db creation app is incredibly important and will increase the value and use of Kexi among the general linux user base exponentially. My estimation is the the majority of potential Kexi users will be wanting it for this feature. That is what a great number of Access users use Access for. These people are not terribly technically inclined, and like the table format of Access better than a spreadsheet format, for their purpose of storing text-based data. I am one such person, and as a Linux user have been using Kexi for this middle ground for several users-- although frankly it is far from satisfactory compared with Access, due to lack of ability to alter the configuration or appearance of a table after it has been created.

So in short, I agree with you Chris, that for this middle ground between a spreadsheet and a db creation app, what I think you mean by the alter-table feature, is more important than the simple table creation. Going into data view to make the initial table is no big deal. But after the table is made, then on the fly the following features are I think critically imporant:

1. Ability to create new rows and columns later on, in table view.
2. Ability to rename columns later on.
3. Ability to hide columns and rows in table view.
4. Ability to move columns in table view.
5. Ability to alter the number of characters allowed in a cell after the table is made, without losing all the data. 6. Ability to highlight and copy the cells of limited number of rows and columns, i.e. a sub-section of the table.

Some of these features may have already been implemented in your later versions, as in Ubuntu I cannot upgrade to later versions (fixing this is also incredibly needed). I am running version 2.8.5, although I would love to be able to upgrade if there were a reasonable way to do so.

Swarup