I understand the idea of following a logical path schema>netlist>pcb... It's a
better way, it's safer, it's perfect for learning, and so on. And when I'm
designing, that's how I want to work. But for some applications it's plain
frustrating, if not time wasting! Let me give you an example:

Part of my job is maintenance for vintage audio equipment. Say an old console
comes in and needs 4 more channel strips. Those are 'unobtainable',
manufacturer has closed years ago, spare parts and schematics are unavailable,
but the thing is old enough so there's no copyright or patent issue. So my job
is to make some new PCBs and populate them. We are talking a big pcb, with 300+
components. Some of them are obsolete, so I really need to redraw the PCB to
accommodate newer parts.
Using good photographs of the original board, and transparent windows, I can
redraw the whole thing in about a day... Job done.
Now if I have to trace out the schemo, we are talking at least two more days of
work!

Maybe I just need to use obsolete tools to work with vintage stuff :)

For this kind of job, the latest brand new and up-to-date software would be the
one who allows me to draw the pcb first, THEN generate a netlist from the pcb,
and then read this netlist IN the schematic editor so I could arrange them in a
readable order...

Bah, guess I should stop dreaming about simple things that could make life
simpler...

Axel