Hi Sid

I don't think that is a field driven alternator rather it is a permanent
magnet alternator or dynamo. There is no field coil that is energised by the
regulator. It's not needed, the magnets provide the field and it is
unadjustable except by changing engine speed.

The two wires you refer to I suspect are the AC output from the perimeter
coils where the current is induced by movement of the magnet within it. More
than likely they are the same colour (often blue or black). The current flow
is positive in one wire and negative in the other and that reverses many
times as the magnet rotates and the positive and negative poles pass by a
coil. The AC is rectified by the regulator to produce DC which is then
smoothed and regulated to provide 13.8v DC nominal. It is exactly analogous
to the John Deere setup or that found in Harley motorcycles.

You are correct, by disconnecting one or other of the two wires the
alternating current flow is disrupted. However there will now be a very high
voltage drop across the ends instead which has potential to break down your
coil insulation.

Crowbar overvoltage protection concepts and circuit diagrams are provided at
Bob Nuckolls aeroelectric site.

www.aeroelectric.com

I hope this helps you better understand your electrical system.

Regards John

John Martindale
29 Jane Circuit
Toormina NSW 2452