I do not know any thing about the John Deer alternators.  The Diehl
alternator consists of permanent magnet array bolted to the fly wheel, a set
of coils with iron cores bolted to the Diehl adapter case and a quite small
regulator usually mounted on the firewall.  Two wires from the adapter case
hookup to the regulator.  One wire is for the field and the other wire is
for the alternator output.  Without the field wire connected, the alternator
has no output.  The field and output returns are through the grounded
adapter case.  A rectifier array in the case converts the alternating
current from the coils to direct current.  The only moving part is the
magnet assembly.  The regulator is all solid state; it does need some
cooling and does get that in conjunction with the electronic ignition module
cooling air blast.  There are no bearings or brushes in the system.  The VW
crank shaft bearings are used as the alternator bearings.  The Diehl
alternator is rated for 20 amps output continuous operation.  The alternator
can produce higher outputs, but will incur overheating problems resulting in
insulation breakdown and rectifier burnout.  My installation allows air to
enter at the magneto mounting location and exit at the starter pinion area
on the engine transmission mounting flange.  The spinning motion of the fly
wheel does pump a lot of air past the alternator.   My Dynon D10A has a
system voltage readout.  An instrument panel mounted load meter displays
current output from the alternator.  The regulator holds the system voltage
to a consistent 14.2 VDC at full battery charge.

With every electrical item on line, transponder and VHF radio transmitting,
and engine WOT the current output from the alternator is 18 amps.  The
batteries are still floating.  Granted, charging a down battery while
running full electrical load may tax the alternator.  However, the electric
fuel pump is only needed for starting the engine.  WOT is limited to 2
minutes at a time due to engine over heating, as recommended by Steve
Bennett.  Landing lights are not used continuously.  With those
considerations and at 75% power, the system current load goes to 10 amps.  I
consider that a reasonable continuous operation design.

What could go wrong?  Could get excess current outputs by shorting the
output to ground, battery failure or alternator failure.  If the output
current goes high enough the 35 amp circuit breaker would trip and take the
alternator and regulator off line.  For what ever reason, such as
overvoltage, I can disconnect the alternator from the system by manually
pulling the breaker.  Power is only produced if there is a current flowing.
Inductive voltage spikes can be destructive to the system.  Batteries do a
great job limiting voltage spikes.  Using a crowbar type circuit protection
is definitely not recommended: that will short out the battery.

Sid Wood
Tri-gear KR-2 N6242
Mechanicsville, MD, USA

What kind of alternator is that VW Diehl alternator? Is it field regulated
aka most cars or a permanent magnet dynamo with regulator aka the small John
Deere or Kubota tractors?

Cheers John

John Martindale
29 Jane Circuit
Toormina NSW 2452
Australia
Cc: Sid Wood
I have used the Expbus for 5 years on my KR-2.  I added a 35 amp circuit
breaker for the VW Diehl alternator rated at 20 amps.  .....sheep shears

Hmmm, in which case having a 35amp circuit breaker in its unregulated output
is pointless. It will never trip because the dynamo at 20 amp rating is
incapable of supplying that current in the first place unless it goes into
substantial overspeed.

What should be included is over-voltage protection across the regulated
output that breaks (or shunts) the circuit in the event of regulator
failure. Breaking unregulated output by circuit breaker or simple switch
generates huge voltages in the dynamo coils that could break down the
insulation around the wires in it because the power from the coils spinning
in the non-adjustable non turn offable magnetic field has nowhere else to
go. You should never spin a dynamo without somewhere for the excess power to
go.......even if it just literally a "crowbar" across the output.

Alternators are very different because the coils are energised to produce
the field (as opposed to magnet) and can thus be turned off. Spinning of the
armature thus has no output and no adverse impact.

John Martindale
From: <brian.kraut at eamanufacturing.com>
It is a permanent magnet generator.  If I recall correctly it is a John
Deer part.