For a Tri-gear KR-2, the main wheel axles need to be 20 inches behind the the aft face of the main spar for the aircraft to balance with people onboard. Otherwise it it will fall on its butt. I originally put the tail wheel version gear legs on my tri-gear KR-2; I could not get into the plane without dumping on its butt. Distance from the main spar was 17 inches aft. I made a set of Grumman-based gear legs that got 20 inches aft for the axles; no further problem with that. I agree that you could put the tri-gear legs on a tail dragger, but then the CG may be too far aft of the main wheels. That can aggravate ground handling and put excessive weight on the tail wheel. I highly do not recommend putting the tail wheel version gear legs on a tri-gear KR-2. Been there, done that.

Sid Wood
Tri-gear KR-2 N6242
California, MD, USA

Man, I keep reading over and over that you can't just turn the gear brackets around to change the mains from a trigear to a tail dragger or vice versa. Sure glad the KRNet and all this knowledge didn't exist when I bought mine as a project. It was a trigear then. I turned the gear around and have flown as a taildragger for 1200 hours now just blissfully ignorant about having apparently done the impossible. Perhaps I got away with it because I have the 30" gear legs, so had sufficient aft and forward "sweep" without changing the gear angles. But what I do know is that I just remounted the gear brackets to the other side of the spar without redrilling anything and moved on with building the rest of the plane.

-Jeff Scott
Cherokee Village, AR