On 2013-08-22 02:35, Timon Wang wrote:
On Thu, Aug 22, 2013 at 5:47 AM, Brian Jackson <i...@theiggy.com> wrote:
On Wednesday, August 21, 2013 3:49:09 PM CDT, g.da...@assyoma.it wrote:

On 2013-08-21 21:40, Brian Jackson wrote:

On Wednesday, August 21, 2013 6:02:31 AM CDT, g.da...@assyoma.it wrote:

Hi Brian,
thank you for your reply.

As I googled extensively without finding anything, I was prepared to a
similar response.

Anyway, from what I understand, Qemu already use a similar approach
(tracking dirty memory pages) when live migrating virtual machines to
another host.

So what is missing is the "glue code" between Qemu and KVM/libvirt stack,
right?

Live migration isn't what you asked about (at least not from what I
understood). Live migration is just moving a VM from one host to another.
That is definitely supported by libvirt. Having a constantly running
lock-step sync of guest state is what Qemu/KVM does not support. So with Qemu's current live migration abilities, if HostA dies, all it's guests will
have downtime while they are restarted on other hosts.

Live migration is not proper for support VM HA, when host went wrong,
these VMs on the host must be restart on another host based on the
same storage.

I have googled for KVM FT for a while, but only find a project called
Kemari which was no longer updated.
I read some article about KVM FT, which said KVM may be support it in future.

Yes, I understand that live migration is not proper to VM HA/FT, but the basic working principles (track and copy dirty pages) is already at work in live migration. I was thinking to something along what Zheng suggested ("hot backup" with very frequent/continuous memory synchronization from a "master" guest).

I totally overlooked Kemari, glad to see that someone point me to it. Shame that is dead (at the moment).

Thanks you all guys.

Thanks again.