At 08:19 AM 11/15/05 -0000, Jean Nathan wrote:

>. . .  some accents would sound like "a naluminium foil
>helmet" or "a nempirical study" with short 'a' and very slight pause between
>the 'a' and 'n'.

And all through history, "n" at the beginning of a word has tended to come and
go.  A word that begins with a vowel will latch onto the "n" from "an" and keep
it as its own, and people will accuse words that came by their "n"s honestly of
stealing them, and snatch them away.

In checking my unabridged for the most-famous example, I learned that "apron"
and "napkin" are both derived from "map", which used to mean "table cloth".

A tableclothlet, how dull!  I thought a napkin was tied at the nape!

--
Joy Beeson
http://home.earthlink.net/~joybeeson/